Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What does the word "salvation" mean, anyway?

DON'T OVERLOOK

the meaning of

SALVATION!



SALVATION

Deliverance; Health; Welfare; Aid; VICTORY; Prosperity; Rescue; Defend; Liberty; To Be Safe; To Preserve

**************************************

Have you ever pondered the word "SALVATION"? Do you ever question God's Will for your life? Is God only interested in where you'll spend eternity? Exactly what does the word "salvation" mean, anyway?

Early on in my Christian walk, I often found myself flipping and flopping over truths from God's Word. I would read where Jesus healed the sick, but then questioned God's Will when it came to Him healing me. Then, I would see where He delivered saints of old from impossible situations, but wondered if He "could really" or "would really" deliver me from the mess I had gotten myself into. One of the most perplexing questions for me to settle in my heart was that of "God prospering His children". While it was easy to see how God blessed Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob with earthly substance - and I understood that my Christian faith placed me under the same covenant that God made with Abraham - I still found myself unable to fully accept God's desire to bless me. It seemed each time I would grab hold of God's love for me, some naysayer (oftentimes another Christian) would cause me to doubt my faith.

Matthew 18:3

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

******************

Hebrews 11:6

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

The scripture teaches us that childlike faith is precious in the eyes of the Lord. In fact, God says it is IMPOSSIBLE to please Him without it. Have you ever noticed how this world tries to mold and shape your adult mind with "reasoning" and "logic" that hinder acts of faith; when really, God just wants us to step into the supernatural realm of endless possibilities? He is the God of the impossible!

Matthew 19:26

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

*******************

Mark 9:23

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

OK, so to settle my wishy-washy belief system, I decided - years ago - to buy a Bible concordance and study the word "salvation" for myself. It seemed the television preachers were confirming my inclinations of believing that God desired to do me good, while my local Christian authorities caused me to be "very cautious" in my faith. I wanted to know... "What DOES the word 'salvation' mean?"

Matthew 6:10

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

It may surprise you (as it did me) to know that the word "salvation" means so much more than a ticket to heaven! While heaven is a place of magnificent eternal splendor in the presence of God; and, heaven is surely a worthy prize for keeping the faith through earthly trials and tribulations; it is only a part of "God's idea" for what it means to be a child of the King. You see, God is our heavenly "Father" and He WANTS TO GIVE GOOD GIFTS TO HIS CHILDREN!

Matthew 7:11

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

When "I" first found the definition of the word "salvation", my heart leaped for joy. I no longer felt that this earthly life was meant to be a time of constant and "unchangeable" suffering. I had a new hope that God would clear the path and make a way for me to achieve my goals. Revival of my soul birthed a concrete faith that was "unwavering" knowing that my Daddy (Abba Father) was "able" and "WILLING" to see me through to the VICTORY in all circumstances.

Yet, while I believed what I saw in the concordance about the word "salvation", my mind continued to question this finding. It is funny how we can sink back into doubt and unbelief after our initial decision to believe. Weird! So, to conquer this fleshly debate in my head, I would read the definition of the word "salvation"over and over and over again. For months, I would write it down, speak of it, think about it and ponder the fullness of this word "salvation"; the word that God speaks of repeatedly. I was determined to stop the leak in my soul that deflated my confidence in God's love for me.

You see, until we can fully comprehend God's love for us (as much as humanly possible, that is) our faith will be weak, oftentimes wavering. Then, we'll wonder "why" God didn't do for us what He did for others. Certainly, God is sovereign and reserves the right to do things in His timing for your benefit and for His glory, but just the same - HE IS NOT A MAN THAT HE SHOULD LIE! The biblical examples of His goodness toward those who "trusted Him with their whole heart" ARE His Will for you and I still today.

Numbers 23:19

"God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

My friend, THE LORD WANTS YOU WHOLE! He wants you whole "in this life" and in the "life to come"! While our earthly journey is short and full of "tests", know that this life we now live is not meant to be an unending hellish experience. When Jesus gave the example of how to pray He said, "Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." Jesus came to earth to show us the Will of the Father. When He healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, made money appear in a fishes mouth, supernaturally fed 5000 with five loaves and two fishes, cast out demons, and even raised the dead; this was not something He did for show. No, He wanted to convince mankind of how much God loves them. Then, He said, "Greater works than these shall you also do."

John 14:12

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

God wants your eternity to begin NOW... on earth! Your earthly journey is to be "the beginning" of the many blessings God wants to bestow upon you. He wants to take you from glory to glory - as you trust Him and lean upon His every promise.

Be encouraged today! Salvation has come! Jesus has paid the price for YOU (and me) to live in VICTORY, now and forever! So put on that godly armour and "having done all, STAND" because the Lord is on your side!

Ephesians 6:13

"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the

evil day, and having done all, to stand."


Yours in Christ,

Deborah

Deborah Ross Ministries
Strengthening Families & Encouraging Women
http://www.deborahrossministries.org/

Bookmark and Share


1 comment:

Bonita said...

Deborah, I didn't realize that you had a blog. I knew you had a website, but not a blog. Cool!